The RACE 2K project was originally funded in 2005 by the NH Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education (Part B) and Department of Health and Human Services, Bureau of Developmental Services (Part C) to support families, school districts and Family Centered Early Supports and Services (ESS) in ensuring both systems were in compliance with state and federal regulations and that families experienced smooth transitions. Through RACE 2K’s efforts, the state’s compliance on the federal State Performance Plan (SPP) and Annual Performance Report Indicator 12 (Part B) increased from 59% (when RACE 2K was originally funded) to 97% and Indicator 8 (Part C) increased to 100% (last APR). Additionally, RACE 2K assisted in the development and implementation of Regional Interagency Agreements for Early Childhood Transitions in all 10 Area Agency Regions of the state.
RACE 2K is currently funded by the NH Department of Education, Bureau of Special Education to continue supporting school districts in complying with Indicator 12 (Early Childhood Transitions) and Indicator 6 (Preschool Settings) of the State Performance Plan. Additionally, RACE 2K works to assist districts in meeting their Child Find responsibilities as defined in the NH Rules for the Education of Children with Disabilities.
The goals of the RACE 2K project are:
- Support the Bureau of Special Education with Indicator 12 and Indicator 6 data collection and analysis
- Conduct on-going state wide and local assessments of the child find policies, procedures and practices of school districts specific to toddlers and preschool children
- Provide technical assistance to school districts regarding child find policies, procedures and practices
- Provide technical assistance to districts regarding policies, procedures and practices for children who are referred from ESS to preschool education
- Provide technical assistance to school districts regarding Preschool Settings and Least Restrictive Environment
- Support the implementation of the Interagency Agreements for Early Childhood Transitions
- Make resources available to support Child Find, early childhood transitions and Preschool Settings/Least Restrictive Environment
- Serve in an advisory capacity to the Bureau of Special Education
To learn more about the RACE 2K project and services, please visit the RACE 2K website.